From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:06:09 -0700
Well, OK.  Bruckner.

Deryk Barker sends some helpful, if daunting, information, about Bruckner
sym 3 revisions:

>Symphony No. 3:
>    1873 Version (Nowak)
>    1874 Version [Mus.Hs. 6033] (unpublished)
>    1876 Version (Nowak [Adagio only])
>    1877 Version [Mus.Hs. 19475] (Nowak)
>    1879 Version [Mus.Hs. 34611] (1880*, Oeser)
>    1889 Version [Mus.Hs. 6081] (1890*, Nowak)

Near as I can tell most of his syms have a similar number of editions or
revisions.  Is this correct? This leads me to a question, the answer to
which I am pretty sure I won't like:

When you Bruckner-philes buy a Bruckner symhpony, is it terribly important
to you to know which version/edition/revision it is? Schwann does not
normally note such things.  This is for 2 reasons:

1.  Mostly for space considerations.  The thing is big anyway.

2.  If we had some/most listings indicating which version/edition was
recorded, and some not, wouldn't that be even more confusing? Some record
labels do not indicate which version is recorded on the material provided.
(not to mention the research to capture all that info)

All the same, this is information I think should be included if the likes
of y'all listers think it important.

Thanks for the input (and the help on the Hindemith!!!!),

Bob K.