From:
Andreas von Doebeln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 20:35:12 +0200
I strongly recommend the works by Karl Amadeus Hartmann (1905-1963),
especially the symphonies.  At EMI Classics the fabolous young conductor
Ingo Metzmacher is working on his cycle of all symphonies.  I think these
symphonies rate among the best of the post-Mahler-era.  His symphony Nr.1
"Versuch(essay for) eines Requiems), based upon poems by Walt Whitman
(similar to Hindemiths Requiem) is tremendeous, very moving work under the
influence of the horrible events that took place in Nazi Germany (and
Austria).  The CD (EMI 7243 5 55424 2 7 Ingo Metzmacher cond.) includes
also Martinus "Memorial to Lidice", Nonos "Canti di vita e amore" and
Schoenbergs "A Survivor from Warschaw".  Of course this is not ideal for a
cheerful evening, but it is a very imposrtant disc, a historical monument.
The performance is excellent.  The other already avaliable recordings by
Metzmacher are also breathtaking, as a "bonus" they include works by Ives,
Messiaen and others.

Andreas Doebeln