From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 13:44:35 +0100
Wes Crone wrote:

>I was just a little overzealous with my improperly pontificated,
>perpetually profound posting.  (Whew!) Anyway, all in good fun, Dave.

Oh how I love alliteration. Beautiful, Wes. Tears to the eye.

Now, in response to you and a couple of others, IMHO everything one posts
here is opinion, except of course when it is fact, like that such and such
conductor recorded suchandsuch on PhilipsDGDeccaRCA #234778.  IMHO we don't
need to write IMHO every time we express an O.  I would never pretend to
state a statement as fact when it is clearly obvious it is an opinion.
To illustrate this, I quote Mr. Crone himself:

>>On the other side you have composers like Mr.X, (unnamed) who write lovely
>>melodies and cute, childish piano pieces......fun for the whole family. ..."

Do you see "IMHO" written here? Neither do I.  Wes, then, to follow Mr.
Draper's post, is stating a fact.  Let's be consistent here, ladies and
gentlemen.

Another thing, Wes, I clearly remember your post when you stated that
IYHO you would be famous because you write music that people like.  It was
the first day I subscribed to this list and was one of the first posts I
read.  Later, when challenged on that, you tried to wriggle out of it, but
that's what you wrote, as I remember it.  Is there a way to dig around the
archives to find the exact quote? If I am wrong I beg forgiveness, but I
think I'm right.

And finally, it is fine that Mozart doesn't give you a buzz, but to call
his piano music childish is, well, childish.  IMHO.  And to simplify it by
saying it is all V-I is to simply deny reality.  IMHO.  Take a closer look.
Analyze some of those harmonies.  That, IMHO, is what sets Wolfie apart
from the rest; that I-V-I routine was given such a magical treatment that
it isn't predictable or banal, like, for instance, IMHO, Mr. Dittersdorf.

Dave
www.serafinotrio.com