From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 08:02:15 PDT
John Smyth wrote:

>Picked up the Nielsen Symphonies at great prices at my local tower
>outlet: 3/6 with Berglund/RDO; 1/2 with Jarvi/GSO; and 4/5 with
>Saraste/FRSO.
>
>Being that I know *nothing* of Nielsen, are these performances worthy to
>stand alone in my collection?

I have the Jarvi set on BIS and 4/5 with Saraste.  I'm not an expert on
Nielsen symphonies, but I can't say I'm fully satisfied with Jarvi or
Saraste.  My frame of reference is Bernstein on Sony, and I feel that he
provides a better flow and excitement to the music.

I've heard that Blomstedt's recordings on Decca are very good.  Also,
list members such as Andrew Carlan are very fond of and prefer some of
the historical recordings on labels like Danacord.

As with much of the mainstream repertoire, having only one version of a
work might not fully satisfy, even if that one version is outstanding.
But, I don't think Jarvi or Saraste are in that category.

Don Satz