From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 22:01:36 -0400
William J. Karzas wrote:

>I think a more careful reading of the WETA response would note that it
>was concerned about getting the NPR news programs "Morning Edition" and
>"Weekend Edition" to an audience of some 300,000 which otherwise would not
>receive them.  It would gladly provide CM when there were other sources of
>the news, as "in the immdiate vicinity of Washington DC." It is clearly a
>matter of perceived priorities.

Perhaps.  But isn't it still a case of WETA's switching its broadcasting
format to cater to the perceived needs or desires of an audience it is
seeking to capture, at the possible expense of the audience it already has?
(Actually, I suspect the new audience is more likely to have some form of
news programs already available, even if not as sophisticated as Morning
and Weekend Edition, than any classical music.) What happens when WETA
plans to expand its outreach further to people who might prefer gospel
music, r&b, c&w, new age? How much more classical music will we have to
part with then?

Walter Meyer