From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 14:47:36 PDT
Steve Martin wrote:

>In conclusion, Universal has jacked up their prices.  The costs of their
>latest Mega-Merger is being passed on to you the consumer.
>
>I now only buy full priced CDs when they are on sale because they are
>just too expensive for me.

Each of us has our "breaking point", and Steve has hit that wall.  My
wall is $50 for cd sets.  At that price and beyond, I become much more
selective.  It's not so much a matter of family finances (although that
is more significant with my wife now spending all her time on a PHD) but
something about seeing a $50 price tag that affects me negatively.

>Perhaps Classical slaes wouldn't be so low if the prices on new releases
>weren't so high.

Perhaps - I just don't know.  It all depends on what's called "price
elasticity".  I assume that Universal is confident that a 20% price
increase will not lower demand by 20% or more; their focus is on increasing
profits, and they need sufficient sales to do just that.

It is interesting to follow the routes that the different companies take to
make what they consider ample profits.  Most of us on the list seem to feel
that the Majors are hurting themselves as well as their consumers.  Only
time will provide the answers.

Don Satz