From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 14:41:40 -0800
Jos Janssen ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Satoshi Akima writes a lot of sensible things (without a single quotation
>from other posts).
>
>His views are absolutely pinpoint.  Being faithful to a composer's
>intentions is one extreme, impressing on him our own view of what he should
>be or sound like is the other extreme.  Satoshi's post has greatly set me
>(HIP one) thinking about how being "faithful" is sometimes not free of
>values, but instead imposes a definite 20th-21st century point of view,
>which may end up further away from an original.  It is my conviction that
>the real great HIP performars are also conscious about this dilemna.

Despite my resolutions, I have to comment one more time.  Having attended
a performance of Mozart's gran Partita yesterday afternoon I discovered
that a) Mozart himself once directed an abbreviated (4 movements out of
the 7) version and b) those two minuets, each with two trios, are BLOOODY
INTERMINABLE if you observe all the repeats.

Q:  if a composer intended a piece to be *background* music (which
serenades, divertimentos etc.  were), would they expect all the repeats
to be observed in a concert performance? Would they expect a concert
performance at all?

Deryk Barker