From:
Michael Cucka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 23:26:37 -0400
Donald Scarinci <[log in to unmask]> said:

>There are some DVD performances recorded in 5:1 surround sound that are
>coming out.  I'd love to get Beethoven in surround.  Watching along on my
>big screen is a bonus.  Does anyone have any information on what is coming
>out and what is good?

The best DVD releases I've heard are those put out by Denon - not commonly
available in the USA, but easily obtainable from overseas (especially
Germany).  I get mine from a company called Laser Hotline in Germany:
<http://www.laserhotline.de/dvddenon.shtml>

There are about a dozen or so discs - Beethoven, Bruckner, Mahler, choral,
instrumental, etc.

Unlike some of the remastered laserdisc releases coming out, these Denon
discs are mixed specifically for 5.1 and are outstanding (an organ disc
even has the option to place the instrument in the front soundfield or
the rears).

Video on these discs consist of stills only - we'll have to wait for the
next phase of DVD layering to get full-motion video with 5.1 sound.

BTW, there are also DTS 5.1 CD's out - but these are also remasters and
not nearly as good as the Denon DVD's.

Enjoy -

Michael Cucka <[log in to unmask]>