From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 17:23:51 +0100
Jan Jarvlepp:

>How about new viola concertos?

It depends how new... or who is writing one ;-)

Vytautas Barkauskas wrote a dramatic beauty for viola and chamber orchestra
in 1981, Schnittke, his polystylistic ball of contained fury and sorrow in
1985, and Giya Kancheli, the grieving but powerful concerto "Mourned by the
Wind" ("Vom Winde beweint") in 1990.  'Classically', the first two are in
three movements and the third in four.  All three please me.

Takemitsu wrote one in a single movement for the Paris Autumn Festival
in 1989.  The title is "A String Around Autumn" and if anyone can tell me
where I could find a recording I would be most grateful.  Nobuko Imai gave
the first performance with Kent Nagano conducting the Orchestre de Paris.
I long to hear this one...

Regards,

Christine Labroche