From:
Leighton M Gill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:11:58 -0700
I would like feedback from anyone who has heard the recording of
Beethoven's 9th with Mackerras conducting.  I am generally impressed
by the work he has done with Mozart.  I have mixed views on HIPness
with Beethoven, however.  I like the adherence to Beethoven's tempi (the
conductor should at least be in the ballpark) but downsizing an orchestra
for a Beethoven symphony is like powering a space shuttle with a hamster
on a treadmill.  Yes, I know that in Beethoven's day, most orchestras were
what we would call chamber orchestras, but Beethoven's symphonies cry out
for added oomph.  Also, according to what I have read, whenever Beethoven
preferred a larger orchestra whenever had access to one.  The debut of the
9th, for example, featured an orchestra similar in size to that which would
usually perform it today.  For this reason, Norrington's recordings of the
Beethoven symphonies, for example, while having their interesting, and
commendable, aspects, leave me with the impression that much was lacking--
sort of like muscle only partially flexed.  But put that same conductor in
front of a modern-sized orchestra using the same techniques and the effects
are breath-taking, as I have experienced when he has guest-conducted
Beethoven with the LA Philharmonic.

Anyway, any thoughts on Mackerras?

--Leigh