From:
Edson Tadeu Ortolan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:52:46 -0200
It is with sadness that I announce the death of the Brazilian pianist
BEATRIZ BALZI in Sao Paulo on November 14, 2001.  Beatriz Balzi was born
in 1936.

Beatriz Balzi recorded the set "Contemporany Latin-american Composers
(seven boxes)", that are an only reference of this music.

She spoke about her recordings:

    From very early in my life they were clear for me the need to be
    useful, the sense of justice and, later on, the concern with the
    social problems and the will of integrating the other Latin-american
    countries.

   To be integrated it is necessary to know; to leave of that thought
   I noticed so little it had been we taught on this vast continent.
   We knew so little about its culture, of its history, of its art.

   I wanted to research, to study and to release, through my instrument,
   what had been and it was being composed at the Latin-American countries.

   The idea of recording the results in recording went appearing to the
   few ones and it began to sum up after the incentive of Radio Cultura
   FM/Sao Paulo invitation to record Latin-American music for the radio
   station.

   Thus, with the collaboration of Radio Cultura FM/Sao Paulo, of the
   Museum of Art of Sao Paulo and of the label Tacape, that believed in
   my work, appeared the first three long-plays  (Contemporany Latin
   american Composers 1, 2 and 3) recording between 1984 and 1986..."

Edson Tadeu Ortolan