From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 23:53:54 -0500
With all the gab about labels and reissues and such, I would like to
recommend to my list colleagues a wonderful cd just released on Seymor
Solomon's "Amadeus" label.  These discs are some of the favorites from Mr.
Solomon's long career as owner of Vanguard and its affiliated labels.

The disc in question is catalogue number AMD 7010.  Maureen Forrester
sings Bach's Cantata number 53 (Schlage doch) and 170 (Vergnuegte Ruh) and
the Salve Regina of Domenico Scarlatti.  It also includes a never before
released rendition of the Agnus dei from the Mass in b minor.  The Wiener
Soloisten are conducted by Anton Heiller.

I will be the first to admit that I adore Maureen Forrester's singing
(she rates with Eileen Farrell on my goddess list), but this is some of
the most downright beautiful, heart-felt, gorgeous singing I have ever
heard.  This is especially true of cantata 170.  Although not for the HIP
purists, any lover of Bach would have a hard time finding fault with this
disc.  Forrester pours her soul into this sublime music, bringing off a
performance that has kept me spellbound since I brought it home on Tuesday.
Since I have a big collection that gets added to almost daily, I rarely
revisit any single disc often.  I have played this one 9 times in the last
three days.

Have I gushed enough? Go buy it!  Turn off the lights, lie down on the
floor, put on this cd and thank the creator that such voices exist to bring
such sublime music to life.

Don't just sit there. Get to the record store before it closes!

Kevin Sutton