From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 10:32:34 -0500
Deryk replies to Peter Wisse:

>>I really hate Beethoven.  They should stop playing his music for another
>>25 years or so, maybe one could then make a reappraisal, and see which
>>is worthwhile to perform again.
>
>And what about all the people who have yet to hear Beethoven live? You
>would deprive them?
>
>Surely nobody is *forcing* you to listen?

I admit to having taken the identical position as Peter in my teens and
twenties.  I'm not proud of it, but there it is.  I even debated the
position with a future head of the Oberlin Conservatory.  Most of us have
to live down our youth.

On the other hand, it's awfully hard to avoid Beethoven in concert.  If
you're not into him, it can make for a long evening.  I probably wouldn't
have minded so much if I could have occasionally heard some Geir Tveitt.

Steve Schwartz