From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:06:17 -0400
Kevin Sutton:

>NPR has a duty to serve the entire public.  Not just the high brow members
>of this and other mailing lists.  I don't mean to lecture (and since I
>make my entire living as a professional musician, I think that I have
>some authority to make this statement), but music simply doesn't interest
>everyone.  There is a diversity of opinions, a diversity of talents and
>interests, and several million paying customers to entertain (yes, that's
>what I said, entertain) in the listenership of National Public Radio.

No disagreement there- the problem is that many stations are eliminating
all classical music, and for that matter, all jazz.  That is true of
WBUR in Boston.  WGBH in Boston has mixed programming- that's fine.  All
of its classical programming happens to be home grown.  Kevin has it
turned around- classical music (characterized by Kevin with striking
originality but lack of accuracy) as the work of dead white guys, is
often dropped completely- that has been well chronicled.And most of us
don't just listen to music- that is a misrepresentation..  I recall
having read a book or two lately.  And painted a picture or two.  And
I don't feel particularly unique.

Music on the radio is a unique resource because it is available to
everyone, even those who don't have an enormous number of cds.  It
can open doors and ears.

Incidentally, I strongly recommend that listers take a look at the many
really excellent blogs on classical music, many of which are run by live
guys and girls- no knowledge of skin color.  Most have very wide musical
interests.  You can start with Alec Ross - he lists a host of others,
many run by living, breathing composers.

Bernard Chasan