From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:13:55 +0100
Lets clarify the Borodin situation: there are three recorded collections
with the BSQ

1/ Of quartets 1 - 13 (1960'es), recorded by the first incarnation of
the group (Rostislav Dubinsky, Yaroslav Alexandrov, Dmitri Shebalin, and
Valentin Berlinsky - BSQ1), released by Melodiya in Russia, and Angel (EMI)
in the west.  (AFAIK never released on CD)

2/ of all 15 quartets (1978 - 1983) recorded with the second incarnation of
the band (Mikhail Kopelman, Andrei Abramenkov, Shebalin & Berlinsky - BSQ2)
released by EMI in the west under licence from Melodiya.  This set is the
one now availible on BMG/Melodiya, since BMG aquired the Melodiya licence
for the west ca.  1993.

3/ Virgin released five quartets with the BSQ (2, 3, 7, 8, 12, recorded in
1990 - the Virgin Twoofer exclude No. 12 AFAIK) still with the BSQ2 line
up, wen Richard Branson sold Virgin Classics to EMI (1994?), the BSQ2
jumped ship and ended up with Teldec, where they released an additional
disc with DDS quartets, No.s 1 and 15 (R=1995, There is also a disc with
the Piano trio 2 and Piano Quintet, with E.  Leonskaja - along with these
releases there were rumours of a complete new quartet cycle on Teldec...
continued below)

There has also been a couple of single quartet releases with both
incarnations, like the justly famous 8' on Decca (196?), a live 12' (1970
+ Piano quintet with Richter) on Intaglio (Both with BSQ1) - a live 8' on
Russian Disc (BSQ2)

Since Mikhail Kopelman disassociated himself with the BSQ2 (in 1996, now
with the Tokyo Quartet AFAIK) and Dmitri Shebalin decided to retire, the
furture of the quartet and any new recordings was doubtful, but there has
rissen a third incarnation of the quartet; retaining the founding member
Valentin Berlinsky on cello and Andrei Abramenkov on 2nd violin (BSQ2),
and have added Igor Naidin on viola (of whom I know nothing) and first
violinist Ruben Aharonian (Who is/was professor of violin at the Yerevan
State Conservatory) - This becoming BSQ3, the band has played several
cencerts, and reports of late has spoken of very exciting playing (if
Teldec still have them under contract I do not know).  For those intrested
in hearing the BSQ3 is the band will be playing a full DDS quartet cycle at
the West Cork Chamber Music Festival during April 23rd to 28th.  More info
at: http://westcorkmusic.ie/

For the record #1: I belive of the currently availible quartet sets The
BSQ2 on BMG/Melodiya is the best availible, well as long as they havent
released the Taneyev Quartets even better 1970'ies Melodiya cycle as
Twoofer (Anyone out there know how/who to lobby BMG to have this done,
their web page is an unfortunate joke..  Please let me know, why cant every
record label have a helmsman like Klaus Heymann (naxos) that reply intanly
on e-mail..) For the record #2: I am not ascosiated with any of the
organisations mentioned.

peter lundin, gothenburg.se -  Counting the days: DSCH 100 (1906-2006)