From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 11:51:50 PDT
Deryk Barker wrote:

>I am beginning to get the feeling - and this is since I left the UK - that
>Rattle will be seen as one of the true greats of our generation.

I agree.  Rattle already has much name recognition and an excellent
reputation.  His tenure with the Berlin Philharmonic will only add to his
stature.  As Deryk noted, Rattle is just in his mid-forties and has at
least 2 or 3 decades left to hone his art.  I predict that Rattle will
have the stature of a Toscanini when all is said and done.

>Mind you, in career terms, I suspect Barenboim may be the most successful
>yet soloist-turned-conductor.

I think he will be surpassed by Pletnev in coming years.  But, for this to
happen, Pletnev will need to concentrate less on the Russian repertoire.

Don Satz