From:
Rick Mabry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2005 08:18:36 -0500
Anne Ozorio:

>Steve Schwartz replies to Alastair Scott:
>
>>>Certainly the Scottish and Irish songs (from memory, opus 108); the
>>>whole approach is completely inappropriate for the material it is based on!
>>
>>I totally disagree, but who cares?  I find them quite charming, with
>>beautiful accompaniments from the piano trio, but, again, who cares?
>
>I'm with Steve on this - a) who cares  and b) they were never
>intended to be anything like the material they were based on.

I was also puzzled by Alastair Scott's comment.  What does it mean to
say the "approach is completely inappropriate for the material it is
based on"?  How do you select the "appropriate approach" for ethnic music
(or anything else)?  Must it be played on period instruments, for instance?
I doubt music would evolve much if an "appropriate approach" must always
be taken.  Or must one simply change the titles to include "based on a
theme" or "variations", etc?

Isn't requiring an "appropriate approach" an inappropriate approach to
art?

Rick (exaggerating to elicit a clarification)