From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 17:38:25 +1100
Margaret Mikulska:

>Hector Aguilar wrote:
>
>> So here is the question: How many Romantic composers wrote at least two
>> (I chose two as the lower end number, because I suppose anyone can write
>> at least one symphony in his/her life) but fewer than 9 symphonies?
>
>Borodin, Glazunov, Rimsky-Korsakov. (How late is still Romantic for
>you? Rachmaninov is stylistically still Romantic and his compositions
>are early; Skriabin is too late, but you can stretch the limits, can't
>you?)

I notice that Hyperion's series of Romantic Piano Concertos includes a
CD of concertos by Delius and Ireland, which I suggest might be stretching
the meaning of "Romantic" more than a little.  I suppose this just serves
to illustrate the point that it's all but impossible to talk about dates.
Even individual composers are problematic, eg Stravinsky's Symphony in
E Flat sounds like Rimsky-Korsakov but no-one would nominate Stravinsky
as a Romantic composer.

A few additions to Dave's list: Cliffe, d'Indy, Halvorsen,
Lange-Muller, Sowerby and Wetz.

A few years back, we made a list of composers who wrote just nine
symphonies.  It might be timely to resurrect it.  I'll check the archives.

Richard Pennycuick