From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 10:47:00 EDT
Yesterday I took advantage of a sale at Tower and finally purchased the "No
Brainer" Bernstein Mahler 2nd with the NYPO that I have heard so many good
things about.

I must say that this recording definitely had its moments.  And that is
part of the problem for me.  I find myself getting annoyed at the fact that
Bernstein seemed to be constantly adjusting the tempos and I found myself
yearning for stability.  This seemed to be more noticeable in the first
movement and I found myself enjoying the last movement much more.

I have heard people remark that when Klemperer conducted, he found a tempo
and he stuck with it.  Climaxes build and a piece proceeds with an almost
relentless purpose and you find yourself anticipating the next note which
always seems to arrive at just the right moment.  This is the antithesis
of Bernstein IMHO.  I found that while Bernstein's performance definitely
had its moments, it often seemed to fall short at what I think are pivotal
moments in the score.  Of course, I found myself comparing this recording
with Klemperer's EMI Philharmonia recording.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed this recording and found it quite
illuminating at certain moments.  And so not to be construed as a
Bernstein-Basher, I will also note that I prefer his VPO recording of
Mahler's Fifth to the competition.  These are just a few thoughts that
I thought I might share with the group.

And speaking of Mahler's 2nd, when will that new Rattle recording be coming
out?

Steve M. (Northern Virginia)