From:
"Richard R. Adams" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 10:06:50 +0100
It's extraordinary how many new recordings of VW symphonies have emerged
in the past 10 years.  I remember when the only choice was Boult or Previn.
Now we have Haitink (EMI), Slatkin (RCA), Andrew Davis (Teldec), Norrington
(London), Thomson (Chandos), Bakels (Naxos), Handley (EMI) and Hickox
(Chandos).  I personally would go for the old Decca Boults (now on Belart
and recorded in Mono in the 1950s and not including No. 9 which was
recorded on Everest) or the Handley if I was going to buy a complete set.
But...I would strongly recommend you pick and chose from the available
sets.  My favorite performances are as follows:

Sea Symphony (Haitink on EMI or Belart Boult)
London Symphony (either of the Barbirolli performances on EMI, the Boult
EMI (which has great sound) or Previn on RCA)
Pastoral Symphony (Previn on RCA)
4th Symphony (RVW's conducting on Dutton or Mitropoulos on Sony)
5th Symphony (Barbirolli on EMI, Boult on Belart, Handley on EMI, Thomson
or Hickox on Chandos)
6th Symphony (Haitink on EMI or Boult on Belart)
Antartica (Haitink on EMI, Barbirolli on EMI or Bakels on Naxos)
8th Symphony (Previn on RCA or Barbirolli on EMI)
9th Symphony (Boult on Everest, Handley on EMI or Thomson on Chandos)

and....
don't forget RVW's masterpiece JOB....
Handley on EMI is magnificent and only approached by Boult's historical BBC
Symphony recording on EMI (may not be available).

richard r. adams
http://www.musicweb.force9.co.uk/music/bax/Welcome.htm
The Sir Arnold Bax Web Site