From:
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:37:38 +0200
Jason Greshes [[log in to unmask]]:

>These are from the Brilliant complete Bach edition.  Unfortunately, the
>cantatas are the weak spots in an otherwise admirable series.

Have you heard the whole series to be so sure of this? I have aquired 4 out
of 12 boxes of Cantatas and whereas there are indeed some that come off less
well, I would certainly not write them simply off as a weaker spot. Have you
listened e.g. to numbers 101, 14 or 1?
By the way, I would be interested in knowing what you consider the weakest
spots. And what are the most admirable issues?

>Brilliant had to record them itself, with very small forces, hurridly
>recorded, without much rehearsal, and not the best pronounciation.

Wrong again:

1.  One glimpse at the booklets shows that forces are comparable to
Gardiner, Harnoncourt, Rilling, Koopman, Suzuki, to name some of the
best known.  These performances are on period instruments, with orchestra
ranging from anything up to 30 or so, and a choir of about the same
size.  Cannot call that small, can you, only if you compare it to the
Klemperers and Von Karaflapps.

2.  Not more hurridly and with as much rehearsals than what the Gergievs,
Gardiners, Mutis and Thibaudets of this world do.  Go out to learn Dutch
and go to http://www.bach.nl/wwwboard/messages/291.html for the actual
facts.  Or if learning Dutch is too much for your throat, trust me, I
am Dutch and I HAVE read it:  your picture is one-sided at best.

3.  Pronounciation:  this has sometimes been a problem for the soprano
solo.....  Strange thing too, as she appears to be living in Germany....

>And Brilliant's boxes are made for an audience where knowledge of the
>German language is assumed, so no translations are included.

Wrong again.  There is no complot to omit the translations because we are
all assumed to speak German, but because this is a LOW BUDGET ISSUE.  Pity
for all those who cannot speak German.  But why not browse the internet a
bit.  In 30 minutes time I managed to download (at an even more budget
price:  free of charge) several excellent Dutch, French and English
translations.

>So, a good way to get all the cantatas in a cheap shot, but not really
>recommended.

I agree. All the same, I would very much want the Satzian oracle to comment
on the matter.

>Brilliant's boxes are also available from Berkshire (www.broinc.com) at
>$1.99 per CD.

Thay are sold in Holland in 12 packs of 5 CD's eacht, coming at about
15 Dutch guilders per box, that's 3 guilders per CD, around 1.50 USD.
A quick calculation:  60*0.50 = 30 USD for transporting them to America.

>As a more expensive alternative, but still quite a good bargain, Berkshire
>has Rilling's 69 CD set of the cantatas for approx.  $270.  Twice the price
>as the Brilliants, but worth twice as much.

Don't do that.  I have not heard any of the Rilling (= Dutch word for
shiverring), but just as Jason assumes the Brilliant edition has "its weak
spots", I assume that Rilling must have some as well.  My advise:  do not
go for a "complete" cycle, but open your ears to the many separate issues
of cantatas by different musicians.  Invest in quality, not quantity.  And
there are many midprice/low price issues available.  Curb your impatience.
I for one will not go for the complete cycle of anything just because it
looks neat on my shelves....

regards, Jos