From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:50:32 -0600
Karl Miller

>While I don't have any statistics I can believe on the subject, my guess
>is that we get the bulk of our classical music though loudspeakers.  I
>believe this is because it is more convenient and more cost effective
>and provides us with a great variety of choice.

And because recordings transcend time and space.  There are just so many
compositions a musician can learn or present, just so many performances
anyone can attend.  There are fewer limits wnen you can bring into your
home--repeatedly--works presented and preserved all over the world over
many years--and hear any of tham at the moment of your own choosing.

>Bernstein's...point was that orchestras have become museums.  I believe
>they have always had a bit of that as a part of their function.

Yes, and that is OK. Museums are good.  They sure don't transcend space
but you can go to them for a huge variety of experiences.

>While it might not be dead, some "statistics" seem to suggest that the
>orchestras are not invigorating the repertoire.

Not enough, no, but some orchestras in various places are, and recording
it too.

>As for the attendees being older...well, as we live longer, maybe there
>will be a greater potential audience for classical music.

As it happens, I attended an 11:15 AM concert yesterday, in Milwaukee,
and was startled to see at the door afterwards at least half a dozen
luxury buses from local retirement homes, which represented the demographics
of quite a significant portion of the audience.

Jim Tobin