From:
Mark Knezevic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 14:23:14 +0800
Alex Renwick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Take Elvis Pressley and Hound Dog..  We all remember it because it was
>written in modern times; but will it be remembered and played in the 23rd
>or 24th century, whereas the music of Aaron Copland and Benjamin Britten
>will.
>
>Perhaps durability is principal of classical music.

i disagree entirely.  Surely there is much classical music, written
last century and the 18th century (ok this is still the 20th century or
whatever) that has vanished but not because it was 'heavy metal'.  Maybe
it was just crap.  I personally don't think heavy metal is a waste of
time & talent.  That didn't get to the point but, in any case, as to
your comment on Elvis Presley, I have to disagree again and say that the
King will never be forgotten.  Rock 'n roll is just as much a cultural
phenomenon, and Presley brought white audiences new music that they fell
in love with.  Further - Pink Floyd were one of the top five cd sellers
last year in Britain, yet they did not release an album.  The most played
song is Yesterday - i don't see anyone giving away Beatles royalty rights.
Ok - so this is only thirty-forty years, but I see nothing dwindling.

Now would someone like to take Frank Zappa into the equation.

-Mark Knezevic