From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:32:43 -0400
I know you're not supposed to leave the entire message behind.  After all,
the kind reader can always refer back to the original.  But this list is
so phenomenal, it begs repeating.

Someone was drinking too much spiked cooler.  I can't figure out whether
Mehta tops this list or sits at the bottom.  I am only reminded of Samuel
Johnson's reaction on hearing that a woman had preached at St.  Paul's
Cathedral.  That's in London for those who don't recognize the "Septred
Isle" as the center of the universe.  But back to S.  Johnson.  When
someone asked whether she had preached well, Johnson likened such a
prodigious event to a dog preaching.  It isn't so much whether it was
done well or badly.  The marvel is that it was done at all.

That Mehta should appear on any list that includes the word "best" or
even "good" is something mighty to reckon with.

Andrew E. Carlan