From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 13:50:13 -0400
Igor Grobman wrote:

>...what provides me the most enjoyment are my concert-going experiences.  I
>go to at least one concert a week, but usually more, and I get the greatest
>satisfaction out of just about every one of them.  Lately, I've been trying
>to drag some of my friends with me, but given that most of them are CS
>majors as well, it never goes beyond being a one-time event.

Yes, when I was at Ohio State in the early 80s as a graduate student, most
of my office colleagues/fellow students thought that their obligatory
exposure to "good" music was fulfilled by the OSU Marching Band at
halftimes....:-)

OTOH, one of the great music bargains during my years in Columbus was
getting a student subscription to the Columbus Symphony.  At that time,
the cost over a season amounted to only a few bucks per concert, and the
CSO was/is definitely a competent band, and the Ohio Theatre was a good
change from the drab campus buildings I was used to.

>I was wondering if there is another lonely (in musical terms) soul out
>there in Columbus/Cincinnati/Cleveland area who would not mind joining me
>once in a while? Of course if you already have company, but would not mind
>me joining you nevertheless, that's ok too ;).

(WARNING:  maudlin posting follows)....of course, don't discount the
possibility that you might meet someone AT the concerts that you can
talk to and build friendships with.  I keep kicking myself over one such
incident, when I was sitting in my usual seat in the nosebleed section,
and a very attractive young lady sat next to me.  I was able to start a
stuttering conversation with her, and learned that she was a nursing
student at OSU (clear on the other side of the campus from where I
studied), and a classical music lover who couldn't get to the symphony very
often--this time she had bought just a single ticket when she was able.

To this day I can't remember what the CSO played that night,
because I was so nervous sitting next to her and couldn't listen to the
music.....instead, I was thinking to myself, what should I do? Ask her if
she would like to come to the concerts more often? Try some different
musical ensembles? Ask her out to dinner beforehand? WHAT TO DO?!?

Well, given the nature of my personality at that time, I of course did
nothing.  We exchanged some other pleasantries, and said our goodbyes after
the curtain went down.  I still remember the enigmatic expression on her
fact the last time she looked at me, as if I had failed THE TEST.  And I
never saw her again in all the other concerts I attended.

So Igor, while I'm sure that young nursing student (who's a good 15
years or so older than you now!) is no longer there at OSU, that shouldn't
stop you from striking up a conversation with someone you might find to
be receptive to a discussion, and of course it needn't be just attractive
young people of the opposite gender, either!  If not in the seat next to
you, try the reception areas or the hallways during intermissions or
before/after the concert.  Who knows what friendships you can start up
that way?

Bill H.