From:
Else Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:58:08 +0100
A short - but I think fair - overview of some record shops in Amsterdam
from a serious CD-junkie...

1. Concerto - Utrechtsestraat
advantages:  huge stock, enormous bargain CD section which is very
well-organized (sorted by composer with separate vocal sections), 2nd hand
CD's and 2nd hand records (although quite expensive), knowledgeable staff
disadvantages:  not open on Sunday

2.  Broekmans & Van Poppel - Van Baerlestraat, 1 min from the Concertgebouw
advantages:  close to Concertgebouw, excellent sheet music department,
knowledgeable staff
disadvantages:  expensive (I'm not sure if they're open on Sunday)

3. Fame Music - Kalverstraat
advantages:  large stock, bargain section (not very well-organized),
usually a lot of special offers, not expensive (usually 5-10% less than
e.g.  Broekmans), very large Naxos section, also sell CD-related items like
storage cases etc.
disadvantages:  most staff have hardly any knowledge of classical music

Else Kramer