From:
Ramon Khalona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 19:04:56 -0500
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Wilson Pereira wrote:
>
>>IMHO Carlos Kleiber's recording of the 5th (available on DG 'The Originals'
>>series coupled with his also famous recording of Beethoven's 7h) is one of
>>the greatest recordings of the century.
>
>Even better than Erich Kleiber's?

Not for this listener.  Papa Kleiber's approach is more classical, a tad
less urgent than Carlos', but overall I find Erich's a more satisfying
account (if he had only had room for the last movement repeat, I'd call
it perfect) and his partnership with the Concertgebouw was superb.

Incidentally, Papa Kleiber afficionados might like to hear his newly
released 1948 Eroica with Toscanini's band (NBCSO), on a Urania 2-CD set
that also includes his Stockholm Missa Solemnis.  A wonderful historical
set.

Ramon Khalona
Carlsbad, California