From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 14:41:17 PDT
John Deacon wrote:

>Naxos are, of course, completely eclipsed by EMI in a truly vast range
>of all types of serious musics made over more than 100 years - opera of
>all kinds, French/German operetta & Indian classical to cite some worthy
>parts of the repertoire.

I don't doubt that EMI being in business for over 100 years has resulted
in a vast past recorded heritage.  But, from the listings in the British
magazines I read and from my surveying what's in the stores, three
immediate perceptions come to mind:  brand new classical releases from EMI
are neither plentiful nor adventurous, the bulk of what's released consists
of reissued product, and no company has a quicker trigger on the delete
button.

This may not be quite fair, but it is not unusual for a consumer to ask,
"what have you done for me lately"? Seems to me that Naxos comes out
looking stronger in that regard than EMI.

Don Satz