From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 16:54:18 PST
Some excellent Strauss pieces which never get much ink are his works for
winds.  I find them very engrossing and an excellent way to get to know
Strauss without the heavy level of late romanticism in the orchestral and
operatic works.  Very different music in emotion.

I have a 2-cd set of this music on Hyperion (London Winds) which is now at
mid-price, and a Philips set by the Netherlands Wind Ensemble.  I haven't
looked into the volumes put out by the Arts label.  How does it compare to
the other sets?

Don Satz