From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:24:13 +0100
Thanks to Nick Perovich for forwarding the Classic CD list of 100 "top"
conductors.  Running quickly through it and eliminating those who are dead,
or largely inactive, or about to retire from regular performance, and
therefore leaving the living and active, I get a new top ten:

   1. S. Rattle
   2. C. Davis
   3. P. Boulez
   4. V. Gergiev
   5. B. Haitink
   6. C. M. Giulini
   7. N. Harnoncourt
   8. J. E. Gardiner
   9. C. Mackerras
   10. W. Christie

The top of the list confirms the Berliners' recent choice - and interesting
that Barenboim doesn't appear at all in the full 100, let alone the "living
& breathing" ten.  Nevertheless, I'm not sure that Sir Simon would receive
that much support from this list or from other parts of the world.  Colin
Davis at 2 has to be almost as big a surprise as Boulez at 3.  I could go
on picking this list apart, but there probably isn't much point - except to
note that Bostonians will no doubt be pleased about Ozawa's showing.

Ian Crisp