From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 09:51:07 -0400
Harvard Radio (they are online and streaming at www.whrb.org) is doing
a chronological survey of Vaughan Williams.  This program got a late
start, so they are only up to 1925 if you are following their online
program guide.

I just heard for the first time, the violin concerto in d minor, Concerto
Academico, conducted by Previn and played beautifully by James Buswell.

When I checked to see if it was available on cd, I found a six cd set
at a budget price! Hey, that's for me.  It includes ALL the symphonies
(so what if I have duplicates?), Tuba Concerto--also new to me!, the
much-loved Overture to "The Wasps" and "Elizabeth in England" which I
have never heard before.

I had a professor of music history once who went on and on about how in
order to appreciate Vaughan Williams you had to be British, and you have
to had worshiped in a stone church.  Nonsense!!!  Vaughan Williams speaks
directly to me, a granny from Philly.  Ever since I first heard him,
I've been a fan.

Oooo.  Now they are about to do "Six Studies in English Folksong" for
chambergroup.  <pleased sigh>.

Mimi Ezust