From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 00:06:18 -0300
Robert Peters:

>I think Ned is right with his point about the unjustified importance
>of the interpreters.  I just recently bought a CD of Prokofievs Romeo
>and Juliet Suite.  The Cover shows nothing but Michael Tilson Thomas (in
>gold!).  Tilson Thomass name is bigger than Prokofievs.

I've also noticed this in the cover design of many recordings.  I wondered
why this happens, and my two indigent speculations were:

1) Perhaps because many people loves more a specific interpreter than
a specific composer (unfortunately, this is the case of some of my
fellow-admirers of Karajan).

2) Perhaps because every CM lover, nowadays, knows not one, but a hundred
of different recordings of a work.  Then, the interpreter becomes "more
important" than the work, because he is the reason for producing a new
recording of it, and --more important-- the reason for buying a new
recording of it.

Pablo Massa