From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 16:23:32 EDT
Robert Peters writes:

>I think your statement is anti-CM because to me Classical Music is about
>tolerance, you know.

No, I didn't know that.  Maybe Adorno, like yourself, would try to put
that spin to it.  This would figure because he was not known to be a very
tolerant person.  In fact, he was contentious as all get-out.  Anyway, as
far as I'm concerned, the tolerance bit is only relevant in the following
way.  CM composers have been known to be notoriously intolerant of each
other.  CM critics are continually charged with being intolerant of
compositions and perfomances, or parts of them at least,.In places like
Vienna and Milan CM is very much a part of contentious politics., and not
just politics confined to musicians.  The initials CM don't stand for
Concord and Moderation.

BUT, there's no question here of banning anything.  The latter-day
dispostion of the Obrigkeit has been, rather, to force you to like Adorno
& Co.  Trouble was, there were a lotta folks out there who, while Adorno
was still alive, resented being harrassed by what amounted to political
pressure.  Unfortunately, the Adorno style didn't pass along with him.
The intolerance lingers on--and quite predictably engenders reaction.

Denis Fodor