From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 21:22:24 +0100
Mats Norrman wrote:

>>I have a recording of Das Lied von der Erde with Walter from 1948, with
>>Katleen Ferrier and Set Svanholm.  How does this one compare with the
>>others? I think Svanholms singing is so perfect in this one....

Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>

>A remarkable performance.  However, if you have the Naxos version of
>this, then it's one instance where I would say that the sound really is
>a problem.  I believe the version in the NYPO Mahler box is much superior
>as it comes from a better source.

You are right, sound stinks.  I am a little disappointed with this as
NAXOS has succeded better with other remasterings I had heard before, like
Toscaninis Beethoven 8 for example.  And I had hoped when I bought it sound
should be as good as in that one, but I don't complain as I am I guess,
very tolerant for sound quality.  I enjoy this performance (and especially
Set Svanholms singing) despite the sound quality.  No problem!

>Allow me to take this opportunity of pointing out that my survey of Das
>Lied Von der Erde recordings has now been added to my continuing complete
>survey of Mahler recordings.  ...

That is certainly welcomed!

Mats Norrman