From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 14:59:09 PDT
I don't really want to write about Vivaldi anymore than I want to listen
to his music, But I feel I've been challenged to point out differences in
the music of these two composers.  The best I can do is explain the basic
differences as I subjectively identify them.

Most important, I hear in Vivaldi "surface" music with little underneath.
With Bach, I hear a great deal below the surface.  This "giant" difference
alone makes it reasonable to like one composer's music and not the music of
the other.

Further, Vivaldi's "surfaces" do not appeal to me.  They don't enter me at
all, just bouncing off me in quick succession.

Third, I find in much of Vivaldi's music a significant degree of
"note-spinning." By that I mean that I get the strong impression that
Vivaldi provides "notes" simply for the purpose of putting them on the
page.  With that impression comes a feeling that Vivaldi's music does not
connect well within a work.

Given my subjective "take" on the music of Vivaldi (little depth,
unattractive surfaces, note spinning), I can't possibly appreciate and like
his music.  Also, since I have the opposite opinion of Bach's music, the
only reasonable conclusion for me is to love Bach and not appreciate
Vivaldi.

I want to emphasize that my musical opinions of these two composers are
fully subjective, and that I think it's great for Vivaldi to have a loyal
following who love his works.  However, I also feel, objectively, that
the premise that it is somehow natural to like Vivaldi if Bach is liked
(because of the transcription business) represents faulty and illogical
thinking.

Gerardo brought up the preimise of "links" between Bach and Vivaldi.  Well,
there are links between every composer under the sun.  That does not
mandate that all "linked" composers must be liked or disliked.  There are
some links between Haydn and Mozart, But Bob Draper has every right and he
is reasonable in liking Haydn and not Mozart (Sorry Bob, your name just
popped into my head).  Bob has to go with his personal preferences just
like everybody else and stand up for them as representing "reasonable"
conclusions based on what he enjoys and appreciates.

Don Satz