From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:48:49 -0600
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>You want classical music to be on the radio.  So do I.  NPR is not
>satisfying any of us in this regard, obviously, or this discussion would
>have ended a dozen posts ago.  So, Karl, how about you apply for a grant
>or two to start a community radio station in your area.  Broadcast all
>the music that you think is worthy, and that the public, clamouring for
>an education, needs to hear.

Well, that is why I started my CD company.  I didn't have to apply for
any grants.  I just talked a friend of mine and his wife, and my wife
into dumping a total of $10,000 ($5,000 for each couple) into the
enterprise.

I had considered the radio route, but all of the available frequencies
were taken in our market and the FCC responded with the statement, "you
already have a classical station." So much for what the FCC knows about
classical music.  So to accomplish this one would need to have enough
bucks to buy out one of the money making commercial stations...

>Let's see if we can do something about a situation that we all agree is
>less than stellar instead of typing gripe messages about the ignorance
>of the world.  And just so Dr. Chasan will have more fuel to zap me for
>a cliche; It's better to light one candle than to sit still and curse
>the darkness.  I offer my services.  Let's see if anyone here is willing
>to put in the time and effort that it takes to make the world a better
>place.

Ok.  Does anyone know how to go about, or the costs of getting a station
going on satellite radio?

Karl