From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 00:07:32 GMT
Michael Lee writes concering Simon Preston's Bach organ recordings:

>DG has just released all 14 CDs in a slim box and the price is less than
>US$100.  Do you think this box set is preferable to Rubsam's set
>on Philips and Walcha's set on Archiv?

I've always enjoyed Preston's Bach recordings; availability of the set
at less than $10 per disc (less than 2 Naxos cds) sounds like a must-buy
to me.  I much prefer Preston to Rubsam but am not familiar with Walcha.

>Or should I wait for Teldec to put Koopman's set in a box?

Koopman and Preston give very different types of interpretations.  I
suggest getting both sets and adding Herrick/Hyperion and Bowyer/Nimbus
as well, if possible.  If it's going to be just one of them, I recommend
Preston.

Just one question.  Isn't Koopman's traversal already available as part
of Teldec's big Bach anniversary package (about 150 cd's)?

Don Satz