From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 22:36:14 +0000
John Smyth writes concering Earl Wild's comment about Martha Argerich:

>Oh, I don't know.... In fact, Argerich *does* push and pull on the music
>quite a bit.

If John is correct, that's a consious decison on Argerich's part.  Wild
stated that she "can't play eight bars in the same tempo.  His statement
goes to her *ability* to play in the same tempo for eight bars.

I love Wild's recorded performances, and he's been an institution for
many decades.  However, his statement about Argerich is plainly incorrect
and insulting.

Don Satz