From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 09:30:05 +1000
Aaron J. Rabushka:

>The other day I found an unexpected treasure at the Fort Worth Library--
>the 3rd Symphony of Ernest Toch!  Where was it? On an LP filed under
>"Hindemith--Mathis der Mahler" under the general heading of symphonies.
>So much for the alphabetical approach!  (The performances, BTW, featuring
>the Pittsburgh Symphony with Steinberg conducting, are great!)

I think Aaron impugns either the alphabetical system or the Fort Worth
library staff unfairly.  The Hindemith is usually designated Mathis der
Maler Symphony to distinguish it from his opera of the same name.  Thus the
LP has every right to reside in the symphony section.  The librarian, given
a choice of filing under Hindemith or Toch, decided alphabetically.  Or
perhaps the choice was made easier because the Hindemith was on Side 1.

I've never been a Steinberg fan.  My first experience of Beethoven's 7th
was a very flaccid version he did with the PSO and it wasn't until I heard
Szell do it properly that I realised what I'd been missing.  I know it's
irrational to judge on the basis of one performance but I steered clear of
him ever after.  Nevertheless, I envy Aaron a library that provides him
with such goodies.  You ought to see the pitiful collection in my local
library, but at least they have one.

Richard Pennycuick