From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 21:54:05 +0000
Steve Schwartz writes:

>The parallel fifths or octaves are objective.  The assertion that their
>presence marks a badly-written piece is not.  Bach has parallel
>fifths and octaves in fugal texture (works supplied on request).

Excellently stated.  Whether parallel fifths are effective depends on the
context in which they are used and other matters such as articulation and
tension supplied.

In the larger picture, rules are made to be broken since they are
originated by humans.  If all the so-called rules of music composition
were adhered to, music would stagnate and the creative process would die on
the vine.  When I hear that there is some rule for any subject, my response
is to ask who came up with the rule and does it have any value other than
making folks adhere to it.  I find no value in the parallel fifths rule.
Composers may use them whenever they like, and I'll decide their worth
based on the listening experience.

Don Satz