From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 12:54:19 GMT
Don Satz wrote concerning music critics:

>My standard is that the only two absolute requirements are an
>identification with the music and the ability to communicate.

I usually have no problem identifying with most music.  I wish, however,
that I had the vocabulary to communicate how a piece affects me, other than
saying, for example, "Wow, this is really good," or "I don't really care
for this music, but I know something is there so I won't dismiss it until
I listen to it some more."

How do I acquire the vocabulary to express myself about a piece of music in
a specific way? I know that a big part of it repeated listenings.  Another
part can be to read the reviews and then listen to the disc being reviewed,
trying to associate what is being written with what is being heard.  How
does Don Satz, Steve Schwartz or Dave Lampson, to mention only three of
many on this list, learn enough to write meaningful reviews?

Ron Chaplin