From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:37:43 +0000
   Frederic Chopin(1810-1849)
      Barcarolle, Opus 60

Martha Argerich(Debut Recital)
Deutsche Grammophon 447430
Recorded 1961, 1972*
Program:
Chopin Scherzo Op.39
Chopin Barcarolle, Op.60
Brahms Rhapsodies, Op.79
Prokofiev Toccata, Op.11
Ravel Jeux d'eau
Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No.6
Liszt Piano Sonata in B minor, S178*
TT 71:26

I think that as time moves on I'm developing empty spaces in my brain.
For many weeks I have been reviewing recorded versions of Chopin's
Barcarolle and firmly assumed that Martha Argerich never recorded it.
At the same time, I was aware of this "Debut Recital" disc from Deutsche
Grammophon, knew that Liszt's B minor Sonata was on it, and that I had
a copy somewhere in my home.

Upon going through the process of collecting the versions of the Liszt
B minor that I own, I was quite embarrased to find that the Argerich
Barcarolle was on the disc.  In my most recent review of the Wilhelm
Kempff Barcarolle, I indicated that I hoped that I didn't find any more
versions to review.  Well, that hope is out the window, but I do feel
exhilaration at the prospect of listening to Argerich's version.

The Barcarolle versions I have reviewed in recent weeks have been
mellow(Kempff), tender(Richter), or not very good.  Now here's Argerich
who has a fiery and wild reputation in performing Chopin.  Yes, I expect
much heat from Argerich.

Although Argerich does supply plenty of firepower to the Barcarolle,
there are other versions at a more premium level including Harasiewicz
and Favre-Kahn.  However, Argerich's first section is quite lovely and
poignant, and her phrasing/articulation couldn't be better.

I do have a reservation about the recording, and it concerns sound
characteristics.  As the volume is increased, the sound becomes increasingly
diffuse and damages the intensity/concentration of Argerich's reading.
This is most noticeable on headphones but also impacts alternative
listening environments.  Overall, this diffuse quality, added to a bright
sound that can be piercing in the loudest passages, doesn't really do
justice to Ms.  Argerich's performance.

Don's Conclusions: An excellent performance hampered by a diffuse
and overly bright soundstage.  My top recommendations of Favre-Kahn,
Sofronitsky, Moiseiwitsch, Harasiewicz, Feltsman, and Cherkassky remain
unchanged.

Don Satz