From:
Joel Lazar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 22:06:08 -0400
Bob Kasenchak wrote:

>I've always been a fan of (the name of) Stokie's old Symphony of the Air.

Richard Pennycuick responded:

>>I think it was either an orchestra for recording gigs or the NYPO in
>>disguise.  Someone'll know for sure.

It was the name Toscanini's NBC Symphony Orchestra took after his
retirement, in an attempt to maintain the stability of personnel, and
to offer the group's services for concerts and recordings.  There were a
small number of commercial recordings made under this name by Stokowski,
Bernstein and others.  I have the impression that the orchestra dissolved
in the late 1950s.

Joel Lazar
Conductor, Bethesda MD