From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 11:09:55 -0500
Patrick Nilsson on the superiority of late works:

>Yes, I believe it is applicable to composers since I do appreciate the late
>Mozart more with Die Zauberflote and The Clarinet Concerto; I do appreciate
>the late Beethoven and his late string quartets more and I do appreciate
>more the late Strauss when he is creating Vier Letzte Lieder.

I can hardly argue with Patrick's cited late works, but at the same
time there are gems in the early works of the masters which should not
be overlookedin the quest for seasoned wisdom.  Good examples are the
early string trios of Beethoven, or his infinitely inventive and quirky
opus 10 piano sonatas.  These should not be dismissed as mere preludes
to what came later.  I have listened to the Bartok Quartets for years,
but never paid much attention to the first until recently - a big mistake.
I could also mention Zemlinsky's beautiful Clarinet Trio, and Schoenberg's
early quartets and orchestral music, but of course to even mention the S
word is to cause gnashing of teeth and rending of garments on this list,
so I will refrain.

Bernard Chasan