From:
Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:22:27 -0500
Harnoncourt goes so far as to say that the two versions of the Schumann
d-minor symphony are in fact two different works.  I wouldn't agree with
that, and it's not hard to hear why Schumann ultimately made the revisions
he did.  As is the case with his Bach cantata recordings, I think that
Harnoncourt's musicology is more valuable than his conducting.  I would
recommend against his Schumann cycle, and recommend various outings by
Munch, Karajan, and Norrington for starters.  I got Bernstein's set from
the library this week, and having listened to #2 it seems like it's going
to be better that a lot of what Bernstein recorded.

Aaron J. Rabushka
http://www.cowtown.net/users/arabushk/