From:
Albie Cabrera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 10:48:11 -0800
I can't speak for Denis Fodor, as I'm not totally sure whether he believes
the Canon simply exists, or if he feels that it is an acual *requirement*
for CM appreciation.

As for me, I'm *not* pushing for any Canon requirement for CM
appreciation at all...  But it I do believe it *exists*...  in that it
obviously *is* what radio stations, the majority of live performance
programs (particularly obvious when you include sub-professional level
performances...  Beginning student groups are *raised* on a progression
through the Canon), and general information sources (such as general
encyclopedias) FEED to you.

Certainly, you don't have to accept what they feed you, and there are
other ways to land on what you truly like as many have already noted...
but those ways would take a lot more work, effort, and perseverance...
and that ain't *most* people.

Albie