From:
Mark Seeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:22:20 -0400
Jocelyn Wang wrote:

>. . .does that mean that the Cleveland Orchestra should also have a
>mediocre conductor? I frown at the idea that Welser-Most should have a
>run in Cleveland as long as Ozawa has had in Boston.

I was living in the greater Cleveland area at the time when Dohnanyi was
hired, I recall people saying, "Christoph Who?" People couldn't pronounce
his name right (I still stumble over it) and there was much skepticism.
But it didn't take long for the city to embrace him.

I think that will happen with Welser-Moest.  If it is not a successful
relationship, he has only signed a five year contract.

I preferred to see the Musical Arts Assoc. extend Dohnanyi's contract.
The standard line is that Dohnanyi did not want to do that.  The German
maestro announced two years ago that his current contract, which runs
through 2002, would be his last.  An option would keep him on the podium to
2004, should the orchestra's seventh music director not be named by then.

My question has always been:  Who gets to exercise the option? Management,
not Dohnanyi.

Rumors have floated around that Dohnanyi wanted to stay on indefinitely and
was hurt that the executive branch didn't immediately and wholeheartedly
welcome the concept.  Subtly crafted statements from Thomas Morris do
little to clarify the situation.  When asked whether he thought Dohnanyi
would stay on until 2004, Morris said, "He has announced very clearly that
in 2002 he wants to move on, and he has very graciously given us some
breathing room if we need it." But in a separate interview, Dohnanyi said,
"I love this country, and I love the Cleveland Orchestra.  In some ways I
am very sad to leave.  But if the time has really come for me to go, then
I must." Those are not the words of someone itching to get out.

>BTW, why on Earth wasn't Ozawa replaced decades ago?

My hunch is because of his fundraising clout from the greater Asian
community.

Mark