From:
Ravi Narasimhan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:57:40 -0800
Steve Schwartz responds to me:

>Ravi Narasimhan asks:
>
>> According to this, [Perlman] played Messiaen in South Florida to tepid
>> applause and lectured the audience for not appreciating the piece.
>> Which he then played again.
>>
>> So, applause is now required?
>>
>> Why would any audience put up with this kind of patronizing?
>
>2.  Perhaps an audience that, rather than have their prejudices
>or instantaneous conclusions flattered, prefer to learn something.
>And, by the way, they paid for the privilege of walking out.

I am not sure of your meaning.  I am fairly confident I would have walked
out, had I been there.  The closest analogy is from my graduate school
days over 20 years ago.  Nobel Laureate came to give a department seminar
with the expectations of collegiality that attach to it.  He wanted 90
minutes instead of the usual 60 and got them.  He proceeded to deliver
a classroom lecture in a condescending tone, stopping halfway, and
instructing people to return after a five minute break.  Few of the
faculty returned, most of the students didn't, and as far as I know, he
hasn't been asked back.  Southern Florida apparently doesn't get a lot
of respect from classical musicians.  I recall Daniele Gatti going
medieval on an audience there a few years ago.

http://m.naplesnews.com/news/2004/Feb/13/ndn_royal_phil__039_s_concert_marked_by_conductor_/

Ravi Narasimhan <[log in to unmask]>