From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 13:49:16 -0400
Jim Lee wrote:

>No, the VPO is so good because they have a tradition that dates back 140+
>years that they adhere to and see no reason to change.

I've heard that most of their players have studied with VPO players.  One
way to keep up a tradition.  I seem to recall noting that something like
this is true in Philadelphia, i.e., something like 60% of their members
went to Philadelphia's Curtis school.  Is that right?

>...  While the sound in Carnegie, thanks to the butchery that went on in
>the last "renovation", can be classified as no more than good, Avery Fisher
>is still an acoustical disaster albeit far superior to the original hall.

Didn't George Szell, while conducting his first rehearsal of an orchestra
(maybe the NYP) in Fisher Hall, lay down his baton after a few minutes and
say, "Tear it down"?

>In order for an orchestra to play well together the musicians have to be
>able to hear well what the other members are playing.  The sound on the
>stage at Fisher doesn't allow this on a consistent basis.

I have talked to at least one freelancer in NY who said the same thing.

I remember one concert I went to in Avery Fisher. I sat in three *very*
different places for three pieces: all my seats were bad.

I've been disappointed too often by my Carnegie seats, too. If you get a
good one, it's very good. But if not. . . . One time on the Parquet, I
moved down about five rows and . . . . whoops. From excellent to poor. A
precipitous drop.

Roger Hecht