From:
Daniel Beland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 13:41:05 -0400
Peter Lundin:

>I'm also a huge Ustvolskaya fan (both in admiration and size!), I credit
>myself (Perhaps falsely) to having introduced Ustvolskaya to this list
>way back in 1996.  I'm not sure that I agree with Daniel about her
>production of the "1950'ies" being her most important, but that her post
>1970 works are som of the most imposing and demanding, not least in a
>symphonical sense, wich Ustvolskaya says her music should be heard as.
>I recomed the Philips release of three "Compositions I - III" (w.  the
>Schonberg Ensemble/de Leeuw) as starting point - if its still availible.

This is an excellent recording, indeed!  Unfortunately, it is not available
anymore, at least in North America.  And I have to say that the Megadisc
issues are excellent but quite expansive...  But one needs to make some
sacrifice to discover one of the best living composers ;-)

>If You are a Russophile like me, f.x. of Valentin Silvestrov's music.

I love his two string quartets, but I don't really like the "minimalist"
Fifth Symphony...  What are your favorite works by this composer?

Another great Russian composer, who passed away a few years ago, is Edison
Denisov:

   http://ovar.myweb.nl/denisov.htm

His Symphony is quite impressive, but I also like his movie scores and some
of his chamber music...

And there is the music of another famous Russian composer I would like to
discover as soon as possible: Yurij A.  Smirnov (1935-).  Have you heard
his music? In North America, I can't find any recording of his music...

   http://seicorde.org/articles/smirnov.htm

Daniel Beland
Calgary, Canada